Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Some Things I'd Like to Accomplish - Another Ongoing Concern

God willing, I'd like to accomplish the following during the rest of the time I have on Earth.  My dear readers, you'll note that I do not refer to this as a "Bucket List."  I do not know that dreadful term's etymology, yet I detest it, as it seems that it originates from the realm of Hallmark inspired schmaltz.  I suspect that the Painter of Light guy had a bucket list.

Not necessarily in importance of order:

Improve upon the things I'm already good at, and, perhaps, master a couple of them.  Music and writing are at the top of that list

Be a better husband

Have a child.  Son or daughter, it doesn't matter.
Read the following books:

  • Finnegan's Wake (in progress, albeit in fits and starts
  • The Bible
  • Don Quixote
  • War and Peace
  • Gravity's Rainbow

There are plenty of others to add to number 2.  I'll never read all of them.  That's okay.  Only Nabokov and Joyce have done that, and they never field dressed a wild boar (cf #7.)

 Meet new people.

 Make my own soda (in progress!

Learn to use tools and make my own furniture

Hunt and prepare a wild boar for a dinner party.  Granted, this is really low on the list, but wild boar is delicious.

Travel.

Start a garden.

Start a business from home.  If it's a product, I'd like to name it Edward's, in tribute to a friend.

Learn the value of money, and achieve financial security and independence.  That achieved, I'd like to throw that money wildly at charities that I feel good supporting, and keep my mouth shut when I do it.  The following looks to serve as a good guide:  http://www.openbible.info/topics/tithes_and_offering

Be someone's mentor; better put, serve as a good example.
Host a favorite band at our place.

Own a home, where my family and friends can gather. The only extravagances will be a wood-burning stove in the backyard and maybe a pool because swimming is among my favorite forms of exercise.

Count my blessings. An ongoing concern.

Learn several musical instruments, and master two. I'm thinking guitar and, I don't know, keyboards? Drums would be cool, too.

Perform more charity work, and keep my mouth shut about it.  I'm no do-gooder.  They're no good.

Stay sober, but make allowances for the odd drink here and there. For today, coffee is fine.

Perform stand-up comedy (in progress.)

Spend more time with my parents and aunts and uncles. I want to hear their stories sothat I may learn from them and then pass them down.

Be an equal in a peer group of artists.

Play tennis with John McEnroe. Ideally, I'll win one set.

Learn to meditate.

Renumber this list.
Control less.
Patronize and support the arts, especially the artistic endeavors of friends.
Do not suffer fools gladly, yet attempt to lead them toward wisdom.
Always have hope; never have expectations.
Learn to fix things around the house.
Learn essential car repair, at least.
Own a muscle car and a fuel efficient car.
Act proactively, use the term as little as I can get away with. The term is in the same class as "Bucket List."
Rest. Know when to call it a day.
Champion the underdog, always.


An ongoing concern.







No comments:

Post a Comment