Thursday, January 18, 2018

Thanks for the Memories, Wherever it Was That I Worked (Which Shall Remain Unnamed - No One Seems to Know the Name Anyway)


Some Artwork I Did Learning My Way Around the Labelmaker That I Never Used Again

To begin this post with a cliché, not least of all because it's a cheap, quick, easy way to, to put another clliché at my employ, get back in the saddle, one can find inspiration in the most unlikely places.  I've found my inspiration for this post in the abrupt, though not entirely surprising, termination of my employment.  As I said, I'm not entirely surprised, for I read the writing on the wall several months back; nonetheless, I'm left confused, a bit depressed, yet, admittedly, relieved in the wake of the news.  

I'm not going to share many details, nor will I indulge in the airing-out of grievances or sour grapes (not here - feel free to ask, though!)  Instead, I prefer here to share with you, my readers, the positive aspects I've taken away from the place.  First, it's most appropriate to say thank you to the many great folks I worked with.  It was my privilege to meet every single one of you.  Who knows?  If you enjoy coffee, thrift/vintage shopping, or going to shows, we may run into one another.  

I'm fortunate that I got to use my degree and, furthermore, provide what I believe was valuable services.  Through providing those services, I cultivated positive relationships and experiences.  I also learned skills that I did not learn in a classroom, skills that will serve me in good stead as I embark on what I dislike calling my "new journey."  I'll settle for the term right now, though, because I'm freshly out of work and I'd defy anyone in similar straits to turn a more clever phrase.

I hope you'll understand that I'm going to take the next several days to reconsider, relax, rewrite my résumé, and contemplate what I'm going to do next (beats "new journey.")  It could have been that, ultimately, I didn't belong in that environment, though I should note that not all such environments are created equally.  I understand that museum libraries don't pay particularly well, but I think I might enjoy greater job satisfaction.  Academic libraries may sound glamorous, but are fraught with their own headaches.  I can't imagine those headaches would be any worse, though.  There's always the oil and gas industry; on the other hand, there's never the oil and gas industry.  I won't rule out a return to public libraries.  I am, after all, a Man of the People.

For now, I'm just going to stay put and stay warm.  I find myself, for now, in the halcyon position of being able to put on two pairs of pajama bottoms without being accused of being eccentric.  There was a real sadist sitting behind the thermostat there.  But as I said, no sour grapes; after all, I wasn't relieved of my duties because I'm too dumb to put on a jacket.

Also, whoever made off with my Yeti thermos, no sour grapes.  I hope it has kept your hot beverages hot, and your cold beverages cold.  I also hope you never spill your hot or cold beverage on yourself.  I never found a way to cover up the little hole at the top.  Also, help yourself to my comfy, ergonomically-sound chair.  

No comments:

Post a Comment